Thursday, May 27, 2021

The Big O

 I spent the last few days in Omaha catching up with some old friends.  This year is my 30-year high-school reunion; I didn't know if we were doing a reunion this summer or not due to Covid, and the big man was going to be in town for his nephew's graduation, so we all decided to have a mini-reunion on our own.

I stayed with Jon and Shelly, and they were kind enough to take me golfing at their semi-private club (they are living the good life in Nebraska).  Here is a lovely shot of the two of them.

Next is a nice shot of Jon showing off his elite punch-out game.
Finally, Jon said we had to take a picture showing off the lovely woodpile that has adorned 7-fairway since 2018; apparently they club is hoping it will simply decompose rather pay someone to haul the debris off.  Note Shelly's perfect form in the background, oblivious to our shenanigans while getting ready to crush driver off the tee. 
We had a great round of golf, and I'm sure Jon beat me soundly.  We also had a small gathering of folks at Jon and Shelly's, but sadly, I left the camera in basement and didn't snap any memories (probably a good thing because Marcus brought over a tower of bourbon).

One evening, we had a nice cookout at Jon and Shelly's with his parents.  It is always great to see the ageless Ken and Mary Peterson, who as I write this, are probably finalizing the paperwork on a new home they are purchasing in the Papillion area.
On Monday, Jon, Steve, and I went out for another round of golf--the three bulls just lighting things up at Tiburon.  We were all smiles before teeing off.
As usual, I did have to take some movies of the players.  Here's JP just striping one dead center.
Next we have big Steve (well, not-so-big Steve, as he's dropped 50 pounds).  Not quite dead center.
At some point while waiting for the group ahead of us (obviously we were waiting for the green to clear on a long par-5 so we could go for it in two), Steve and I posed for this gem.
Jon and I also posed for a shot; I think my pained expression is indicative of my play.
It was a beautiful day on the course, and I managed to capture this Bobby Jones-esque swing.  I'll have to send this to Golf magazine--they'll definitely want to use this in their instruction series on perfect form.
The golf was wonderful, but spending time with the book-ends was even better.  That evening, Melissa (Steve's wife) got us all together for more socializing to do an early celebration of my and Steve's birthdays.   This is not a good picture, but we were all just being goofy.
We asked the waitress to take a picture of everyone, but apparently only Melissa and I knew a photo was being taken.
Melissa even planned ahead and had a cake decorated for us.
And a trip to Nebraska wouldn't be complete without a picture with me and the Duke.
On Tuesday, I visited Kristine and her family; she was a terrible host because she destroyed me in two games of Scrabble--I don't even think the scores were close, but I did beat her in their mini-Ms Pacman game, and that's really all that matters.
We also took a picture, and again, I have that pained look on my face, this time due to my poor performance on the Scrabble board.
I returned to Florida yesterday to some happy dogs, a fairly happy son, and a wife that was thrilled to see me (but I think her elation was due more to not having to take care of everyone than my actual presence :-)

We are getting ready for Memorial Day weekend--the weather is hot and humid.  Pickle ball anyone?

No comments: