Friday, September 12, 2014

Cross Country

We were shocked when Bode brought a flier home from school about cross country.  The flier didn't shock us; rather, the fact Bode wanted to do it was a bit of a surprise.  "You know this is just running, right?" Ashley asked him.  He was fine with it, wanted to do it, and has been practicing twice a week after school.  Practicing isn't really a track practice.  Rather, they run one or two laps around a field and call it a day.  Bode has impressed us by doing two laps at most of the practices.  Apparently his swimming has helped his aerobic capacity.

The first meet was this past Tuesday.  The meet started at 4:00 pm, so Ashley and I tried to do our best to get there for the start.  I was walking up to the field when the starting gun sounded, so I missed the start.  However, I was able to get to the finish line and get these pictures of Bode.  He's the one in the red shirt and yellow shorts.  Bode looks a little gassed :-)
I had the foresight to bring some gatorade for our thirsty boy.
Mommy was very proud of her little runner.  I think he was ~15th.  I don't know how many runners there were, but it was more than 30.  He was also the second finisher from his school, and he was very happy when he realized that.  I tried to get him to smile, but I think fatigue was setting in.
Miss Jeanice is again watching Bode after school.  She had the job of shuttling Bode to the meet.  I think he has another race on Tuesday.  I don't understand how people with multiple children survive.  Bode is an only child and only six years old, and Ashley and I still have trouble keeping track of his schedule.  You'd think we'd be better at that :-)  Cold here today--in the 40's, and that was the high.  I think the forecast is for warmer weather this weekend.  Here's hoping!  Pleasant weekend to all.

No comments: