Friday, November 29, 2013

T-Giving: Day 1

Our first day in Disney was a trip to the Magic Kingdom.  The park was opening one hour early (0800 instead of 0900).  We were up at the crack of dawn, on the first operational monorail, and at the park before the gates opened.  Note the absence of any crowd.
We had to do some administrative tasks at the guest relations window.  We quickly took care of these and were on our way (To those of you that were there:  I realize I have greatly simplified the events of that morning; I felt no reason to document them here.  Let's simply be happy we all got to the park and made it inside :-)  Ashley's Mom (JoAnne) and my Mom were with us at the Magic Kingdom (as were Bode and Teddy).  We grabbed a quick photo on main street.  Bode was acting like a goof.
We also grabbed a good picture of Ashley and me in front of the castle.  I've no idea why I have my chest all puffed out...
We then went and did the Dumbo ride and stopped in for a visit with Ariel.  Obviously Teddy needs to sit a little closer to the pretty girl, err, mermaid.
We then went on the Little Mermaid's ride and stopped to look at the monument to Gaston.  I think the boys got as much joy from that fountain as they did the rides.
We did a few more little rides like the carousel and then we had to do It's a Small World, just to hear that catchy tune.  I have a movie of us riding, but I don't want to torture the audience by making them hear that song the rest of the night.  We then did the Haunted Mansion, stopped for a popcorn break, and then the boys met Chip and Dale (I don't know which one is which--they all look the same to me).
Next up was a trip down splash mountain.  Note Ashley is nice and dry in the below picture.
Bode must have remembered this ride, because he decided to put his hood up.
All of us got a little wet...except Ashley who somehow got soaked.
Woody and Jessie were stationed just outside of Splash Mountain, so the boys got to meet the cast from Toy Story.
We then did Thunder Mountain, the railroad roller coaster.  Lots of fun.  Teddy and I sat up front...
and I was able to get the following shots of Ashley and Bode during the ride.
We toured around the park and watched a parade (seems like there was something going on around Main Street or the Castle every hour).  I think I heard the song on the following video over a thousand times (I'm not exaggerating either).
Lunch was a buffet with a table visit from four different cast members.  We got to meet Winnie the Pooh,
Piglet,
Tigger,
and Eeyore.
We did a few more rides after lunch.  Our plan was to come back that night and watch the parade of lights.  Bode needed a nap in between.
We went back to the park that night.  Night pictures never show up well, but here is the best one I got.  Note the Castle looked amazing.  We intend to do our house just like it.
We also got to meet Mickey Mouse, and this Mickey even talked to us!  How cool is that?!?
Afterwards, Ashley and I wondered if this Mickey was really talking, or if he simply had some recorded phrases.  We thought it might be the former...until we saw the talking Mickey a few days later.  Same routine :-(  The second time around, Mickey again asked Bode if he had ever flown like Peter Pan.  Bode said something like, "Yeah, last time I was here." This didn't phase Mickey (the recording) and they went through the same routine.  Bode seemed a little confused--I could see his little brain piecing things together, but the good news is, he still believes in the magic of Mickey :-)  We left the park before the fireworks, but watched them from boat dock outside our hotel.
The video does not do the show justice, as the Castle does not show up near as well as it actually was.  We had a magical first day.  Tomorrow:  Hollywood Studios.

No comments: