Sunday, October 9, 2016

Stark Vegas

We took our biennial trip to Starkville for the Auburn-Mississippi State football game.  We headed out this past Friday and I stayed until today (Sunday), and Ashley and Bode will return tomorrow (I have to teach my class on Monday).  We had a fabulous time, and not just because Auburn was victorious.

Unlike most past trips, the camera didn't come out that much--I failed to get pictures of Jon, Meghan, Elliot, and Oscar.  The only real pictures were from the football game.  We all had hoped for a real treat on Friday night, which as the annual Bulldawg Bash, which is a big street party very near Jon and Meghan's house.  The coolest part would have been the concert by Flo-Rida, who was scheduled to perform.  Sadly, Flo-Rida "missed his flight" and didn't make it, which had to have stunk for everyone who was out there (we were on Jon and Meghan's porch--we couldn't see anything, but we sure would have heard it).  I'm sure the organizers were bummed.  My biggest question is, "Does Flo-Rida really fly commercial?"  I would have thought a big-time rap/pop artist would have a charter.  But I digress.

Saturday morning, Ashley and I took Bode to the Tiger Walk, which is where a bunch of Auburn fans gather where the Auburn team buses will stop when they are bringing the team to the stadium.  There are Auburn students that go around and hand out shakers to get everybody in the the spirit.  Bode and Ashley had fun with theirs.
I think I insulted the guy that was passing out shakers.  He asked if I needed one.  I responded, "I'm an adult male."  Evidently that wasn't very spirited of me.  The buses showed up, and we even saw Gus sitting on the front seat (Gus Malzahn is the head coach of Auburn).  Other than that, we didn't see much, as we didn't plan our location.  But it was fun to see it, and we did get high-fives from Aubie.
The game was awesome--there wasn't a cloud in the sky (despite Hurricane Matthew a few hundred miles to the east).  We were all smiles before the game started.
The game started off poorly, with Auburn throwing an interception on their third play from scrimmage.  Mississippi St drove to the ten yard line, but missed the field goal attempt.  After that, the route was on, and by half-time, Auburn was up 35-0, which sounds cool, but I would have preferred a closer game (You shut your mouth--it was AU-some!!!)  I took the below movie in the second half.  It appears Auburn scores a TD, but sadly, it was called back by a holding penalty.
Here's a shot of the score-board.  Note it's Auburn 38-14.  Quite the game :-)
The rest of the day was spent relaxing and visiting with Jon and Meghan.  I wish I could say we went out partying, but I think we just hung out in their living room.

I got home this afternoon, and took care of the dogs and cleaned up the house.  I also checked the garden.  Apparently, we had a frost this weekend, so all my pumpkin vines were dead.  This isn't a bad thing--it just meant it was time to pick the pumpkins.  I'm quite pleased with my harvest--I got three or four good-sized ones and a couple of small ones.
I suppose I should go take a shower and get ready for work.  What fun :-)  Pleasant week to all.

No comments: