Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer Vacation Part II

There was a nifty park a couple blocks down from Aunt Eileen's house.  Lots of swings, climbing devices, and all other items children can hang and leap from with the grace of a monkey, yet put an adult on this bars and it's a quick ER trip.  Bode played a bit and went down the slides, laughing and just being a kid.  At some point, he saw the zip line.  He wanted to do it, so we got in line and waited.  It wasn't a park-sponsored line or anything like that--just a string of line run from a high point to a low point with a knotted rope hanging from it.  Seems pretty basic compared to the gadgets and video games that enthrall kids, but I think this was more fun.  Here are some pictures.  First, Bode waiting patiently in line.
He needed an assist from Pops to get onto the rope.
After he was firmly in place, away he went.
It was so much fun, he wanted to do it again.  For this iteration, I took a movie.  It was a bit windy, so the sound is horrible.
You probably noticed Ashley and me were both in jackets.  It was brisk in Ventura--these pictures are taken the same day we went to the zoo in Santa Barbara, which is a quick 30 minutes up the coast.  Funny how different the weather can be just a few miles away in California.

One funny parenting story:  While on vacation, I did something I didn't think would happen so soon.  Bode and I had all our clothes in one suitcase.  We weren't very neat--piles of clothes around the room, some clean, some dirty.  At some point, I needed a shirt, so I grabbed one off the bed.  I had a full view of the shirt--it wasn't partially hidden or obscured.  I grabbed it, and started to put it on.  I quickly realized it was Bode's shirt, and it wasn't about to fit me.  But it dawned on me Bode is growing and getting bigger.  His clothes no longer look like washcloths.  We're still a few years from sharing a wardrobe, but our little guy is getting so big.  Hard to believe he starts kindergarten in three weeks.  More CA posts to follow.

No comments: