Sunday, March 4, 2012

Disney World Day I

We spent the last five days in Orlando, Florida, staying at the Animal Wilderness Lodge on the Disney property. We had a wonderful time. What follows will be various posts about all the stuff we did while down there.

First up is the travel day. We left Ohio on a 0700 direct flight from Dayton to Orlando. We checked two bags, and I'm always feeling guilty when personnel don't charge me for bags. They thank me for my service and wish me well. I sort of want to tell them my day consists of nothing more than worrying about the screen resolution on my monitor rather than combat operations. Instead, I just nod, and move on :-) The plane ride was a bit eventful--had some strong turbulence at one point. There were a lot of kids on the plane, shouting, "Weeeeeeee!" and acting like it was a ride. No one got sick, but I was happy when we landed.

The Disney Magical Express took us to our hotel. We opted for this route of transportation because Disney takes care of your bags. We felt like celebrities, walking off the plane and going straight to transport. Our bags "magically" appeared in our room a few hours later. Here's a picture of Bode on the bus. He was very excited.
Once we settled in and grabbed some lunch, we went to Downtown Disney. This is a "free" location in that you don't need a park pass. We were a little tired, and didn't think we could handle too much. We saw some cool shops and displays. Legoland was awesome--I can't believe some of the things they can build with just Legoes. Here are some pictures.
We ate dinner at some dinosaur themed restaurant. Bode loved some of the animatronics--they really look lifelike. Evidently there have been improvements in this technology since I was last at Disney in the 1990's...
On the walk back, we decided to get Bode his Mouse Hat with his name embroidered on the back. He's been talking about getting one for the past two weeks. He was very excited, and more than happy to model it.
When we got back to the hotel, we quickly went to bed. After the early morning wakeup, we felt the need to get some sleep. Big day tomorrow--The Magic Kingdom!

No comments: