Sunday, May 18, 2008

Our Son

Right after Ashley and I got married, we went through that funny phase most people go through when referring to each other. No, I'm not talking about cute little nicknames. Rather, it was simply strange to say, "This is my wife, Ashley," or "I'm meeting my wife for lunch." After a certain amount of time, the novelty wears off and changes are necessary to keep it fresh. If I'm feeling funny, I'll introduce Ashley as my first wife which is an entirely true statements albeit a little odd-sounding. Once I introduced Ashley as, "My chef and personal assistant," which she really didn't like. I offered to change it to "My chef and executive assistant," but she still found this to be a bit unflattering. Anyways, we are going through the same type of things with Bode aka our son. The other day, a meeting was ending and I was hurrying out the door. "Jeff, what's the rush?" "Oh, I have to get my son at day care." I smiled to myself after I said this because the statement had come so naturally, almost like Ashley and I are used to having this little bundle of joy, which is quite scary considering a year and a half ago Ashley was lamenting about her inability to keep plants alive in the house.

We had a nice week; nothing exciting, although I did run a PR in a 10k run on Tuesday. Didn't quite come close to the world record (26:40 something), but I thought I did pretty good for a guy that's about to turn 35 (yikes). We're fixing to take Bode to the golf course today. We're not going to play; we simply want to hit some golf balls, and the weather is sort of cooperating.

Now for the pictures. First, father and son hanging out on the couch.
We're thinking Bode looks like he's trying to figure out this crawling thing. We thought we'd hang his favorite toy just out of reach, and see if he could figure out how to get there. His little legs churn a bit, but it's kind of like watching a car in the mud: lots of action--legs flailing and arms wailing--but no motion. He does seem to enjoy it...for a little while...
We next have shots of Bode sitting up. He can't get to this position on his own, but he can stay there for about a minute or so, depending on how well he's balanced. And note how he's sitting. I figure he must have seen me sitting EXACTLY like he is because I regularly sit with my legs straight with the palms of my hands touching the heels of my feet (I of course, am kidding because if I tried to do this, my hamstrings would snap like overstretched rubber bands). I'm amazed how flexible Bode is...Finally, Bode and Auburn staking out their turf on the living room floor. He's starting to "pet" Auburn. It's more like tapping the dog, but he's actually gentle when he does it. We'll see if this continues as he gets older.Pleasant day to all.

1 comment:

RockyMtnCyclist said...

WAR EAGLE!

Nice blanket. Only 102 days until Auburn's home opener, but start working on teaching Bode the fight song...