Sunday, February 21, 2021

A Joey Update

 As you know, Joey was diagnosed with cancer in late December.  Ashley and I knew it was bad news when we showed up at the vet's office, and the room we waited in had a couch and a lot of Kleenex boxes.  We were told Joey had "weeks to months."  

Fortunately, Joey has made it past the weeks diagnosis, and for that, we are very grateful.  He's been getting chemotherapy through Auburn University, and he has just been the happiest, most playful dog these last few weeks; if you didn't know he was sick, you wouldn't know anything was wrong.  The first chemo drugs they used didn't seem to have any effect on the growing tumors (he has lots of them in all the wrong places), so they've put him on a different drug.  We hope this can help stop the tumor growth, but we also realize it's a very long shot.  Still, we'll do everything we can to keep Joey happy and comfortable. 

I've probably been taking too many pictures of the dogs, but I guess that's what happens when I get a new smart phone.  Here are some of my favorite shots.  The two dogs and Ashley like to take naps together.

And even when Ashley is not around, both dogs enjoy their naps.
People have asked me if Barkley "knows" Joey is sick.  I have no idea, but I don't think so.  I do know she likes to be around him (and vice versa).  She's known him since she was eight weeks old, and the only time she's been apart from him was the week that we moved to Florida.  He's her best buddy.  The weather has warmed up some, so we are all happy to get back outside.
I have noticed we do get some really low tides in the winter.  Here's a shot what could be called a beach behind our house.  I have never seen the water this low.
Finally, here's a picture of me and the Joey-dog.
I am taking Joey up to Auburn on Tuesday for another checkup.  They will assess how the chemo has affected the tumors, and from there, we'll talk about the treatment going forward.  We do hope for good news, but we understand it's a long-shot...but sometimes long-shots win!

No comments: