Monday, May 23, 2016

End of USAFA School Year

The Air Force Academy school year came to an end this past week.  As part of the celebration, we have an annual picnic.  Ashley and Bode came up, and one of my colleagues usually takes pictures.  Here are some nice pictures of the event.  First up is Bode watching Ben make some ice-cream.  Ben does it with liquid nitrogen--it's pretty cool (and not bad tasting if you ask Bode).
There was also a nice big field.  Bode and I kicked the soccer ball around--so nice to have grass compared to the trampled dirt we have in our backyard.
The end of the school year almost was a milestone for me, because it marked the end of my teaching career at USAFA.  In case I haven't told you, I have decided to retire from the military and have been fortunate enough to land a teaching job at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department.  Yes, I know Ashley is the mechanical engineer in our family, but there are many EE-related courses taught by this department.  In fact, the guy I am replacing was an EE, so it's a pretty good fit.  I start in mid-August, and am in the process of retiring from the USAF.  My boss was kind enough to carry forward a long tradition from the pilot community when a flier is hosed down following his or her final flight.  During my last class, Col Butler was kind enough to dump a bottle of water on me :-)
Summer is fast approaching.  I guess I should get that garden started :-)  Not to worry--it's been going for a couple months now...stay tuned for a future post showing the progress.  Pleasant day to all.

No comments: