Sunday, February 21, 2016

February Skiing

We spent the weekend up in unseasonably warm Breckenridge.  We went up Friday evening, and spent the last two days in our little mountain retreat.  We didn't do much--skiing, lunch at Downstairs Eric's, and then some goofing off at home, which included some time in the hot tub.  I also got my fill of moving firewood from the wood pile to the garage, and then from the garage to the big storage bin by the fireplace.  The weather was so warm that we didn't even light a fire.  Even getting out of the hot tub wasn't bad--it wasn't warm either, but I didn't go sprinting into the house like I normally do.  We skied both Saturday and Sunday.  The crowds didn't show up until around 1000.  Saturday, we stayed until 1230.  It was a beautiful day, with Bode complaining about being too hot on a couple occasions.  Better warm than cold I say.  I took a variety of pictures.   First we have Ashley and Bode getting ready to ski down from the Mercury lift.
At some point during the day, we headed over to Peak 8 and then Peak 7.
Lots of nice runs on these peaks, but all end up at the bottom of the mountain, meaning the lifts were packed.  Still, we were glad we headed over to this side of the mountain because to get back to the Peak 9 side of the mountain, we needed to take E-Chair (we could have skied a bunch of crowded greens to the bottom, but this did not appeal to either of us).  To get to E-chair, we needed to do a black diamond (gasp!)  Bode, to our surprise, was up for it.  First, an action shot of Bode as we headed over to the run.
We needed to take Frosty's Access to get to E-Chair.  I had Bode pose in front of the sign so no one could say he didn't do a black diamond.
To our surprise, Bode said he really liked it--"it's just a steep blue" is how he characterized it.  He wasn't shredding down the mountain, but he did make it down unscathed, and he went through the bumps at the bottom.  Very cool.  Once we made it back to Peak 9, I took the time to try to get a movie of Bode skiing.  I think the movie makes us look like we are going a lot faster :-)
We came home today, and I worked a little in the garden.  It's been unseasonably warm here, so the soil wasn't frozen, which let me do a little tilling.  I won't plant anything for another month or so, but I must say I'm pleased with the soil condition.  And on the topic of fruits and veggies, I have grown to regret a statement I made to Bode many years ago.  When he was but a wee lad (maybe four), I told him he could eat fruit whenever he wanted.  He's really taken this to heart.  Last week, our family went through 24 eight-ounce cartons of blueberries, with Bode eating the vast majority of them.  I guess it's better than Little Debbies, so I'm sure this investment in healthy eating will pay off.  But why do I feel like we should own a good portion of Driscoll? :-)  Nothing exciting this week, but Bode does have a piano recital on Saturday.  We'll spend a good portion of our evenings working on his technique and putting the finishing touches on the pieces.  Pleasant week to all.

No comments: