Sunday, May 3, 2015

McGuirk Gardens

With the advent of spring, I thought I'd provide a garden update.  Things have really shaped up nicely.  I did some planting the end of March.  I had some success with lettuce and onions, but the carrots (surprisingly) didn't take.  Plus, I planted a lot of beans and peas.  I kept noticing holes everywhere I put a seed, as if something had dug them out.  I had already installed a bird net, so I figured I had a rabbit/rodent problem.  I lined the planter boxes with a fine metal mesh.  To test, I put a pile of old fruit in the center.  It went untouched for three days.  Satisfied I'd solved the problem, I proceed to fill the boxes with seeds and starters.  We now have two blueberry bushes, two raspberry bushes, a lot of strawberries, beans, peas, lettuce, corn, and some cucumbers.  We have have some tomato plants and pepper plants, but those need it to be a bit warmer at night to survive (probably in another two weeks).
I'm also happy to say the apple tree and plum tree we planted last fall survived and are blooming.  The cherry tree has yet to bloom, but there do seem to be some buds on its branches.  Hopefully it'll bloom in a couple weeks.  Below is another view of the garden.  We are thinking of putting in two more trees at the front right of the entrance.  Also, note the new bench.
After a few days, I found the following growing in the garden.  Not quite sure if it's ripe--might need a couple more weeks :-)

Pleasant week to all.

No comments: