Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Patio Project

The great patio project has been completed.  Earlier this summer, Ashley and I dismantled a large wood patio in our backyard.  While this patio was functional, it was an eye-sore.  We decided to put in a rock patio, and by put in I mean pay someone to put in.  Initially we intended to have a large fireplace as part of this project.  Unfortunately, much like Congress, Ashley could not convince me to raise our debt limit.  Perhaps sometime next year (maybe Congress should take notes--not spending money you don't have, a novel concept).  Below are some pictures.  Harley the camera hog decided she needed some blog-time, so she's in most of the images.  First, the view of the patio from our porch.
We think the boulders go well with the existing landscape.  Note Harley in the middle right, above the patio.  Next from the side:
There are two levels.  We only own two outdoor chairs, so for now, the lower tier might be made into a level for large potted plants.  We're still figuring that out.  Next is a picture looking behind the patio at a place I call Harley's perch.
See the bare dirt area under Harley?  That is the future location of a potential fireplace (or more rock, depending on the debt situation).  Next is a picture of the patio from Harley's perch.  Obviously Harley and I switched positions.  We have a lovely view from here.
Our backyard needs a little work.  It's just one big dirt field, thanks to the heavy machinery used to move the stones around.  Ashley and I think we can do something nice with the landscape--maybe a garden, maybe a sandbox for Bode, maybe a waterfall (that debt ceiling again).  We've plenty of time to figure it out, as winter is approaching, so we won't be doing much for the next few months.

Bode has been taking skating lessons.  He's getting pretty good.  Here's a video of Bode learning to go backwards.  I think it's simply a lot of rump-shaking.  He's better than me at going backwards.
Nothing too exciting here.  Work is work for the both of us.  We are not really impacted by the shut-down, and tomorrow, I hear DoD civilians are going back to work.  I took Friday off and really enjoyed my time not working.  I don't understand people who say they would be bored if they didn't work.  Perhaps I don't have a large enough sample size, as I only had the day off.  Still, I think I could find plenty to occupy my time :-)  Pleasant week to all.

No comments: