Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grey Beard

For those of you into dendrochronology, if you were to count the rings on my trunk, you'd find another one has been added.  Yup, I turned 39 on Friday--not quite in the "old" category, but getting close.  The week prior, I travelled to St Louis, returning the Friday before Memorial Day.  While in St Louis, I didn't shave (we wear civilian attire).  Therefore, due to the holiday, I went eight days without shaving.
I was so proud...until, upon closer examination, I noticed a surprisingly large number of grey hairs in my beard.  Ashley had to restrain me from making an emergency run to the drug store to get the Just For Men hair dye.  Oh well.  I suppose I might look old, but I'm certainly not getting any slower.  In fact, today, I ran the Strawberry Festival 10k.  I surprised myself with a best-I've-ever-run (aka PR) of 39:15 (6:20 / mile pace), finishing 30th out of 587 people, and second in my age group out of 30.
We are three weeks from moving from Ohio.  The fact we are leaving hit hard this weekend, and we went into panic mode, packing, organizing, and figuring out travel plans.  We'll all be happy come the 4th of July :-)  Pleasant week to all.

No comments: