Thursday, December 31, 2015

The ABQ

We headed down to Albuquerque the day after Christmas.  We debated whether or not to go due to a winter storm warning in most of New Mexico.  We figured we should go as soon as possible because the storm was forecast to remain for quite a few days.  Fortunately, we made it with no issues, but it was a bit hairy at the end.  We had to reroute to get to Pat's house once we got to Rio Rancho, as the roads had gotten very slick, and many people in Albuquerque choose to drive rear-wheel drive vehicles.

The great thing about the snow was we all got to go sledding.  I took my camera and got lots of great action pictures.  First up is Bode and Sean positioning themselves for a good run.
Next is Uncle Pat and Bode hiking back up the mountain.
Here's a nice movie of a number of the kids going on some runs.  Sean was first going head-first and wiping out, with Bode and then Devin following thereafter.
Here's a nice photo of Pat and Dana.
At some point, Uncle Pat disappeared--I think he was worried about the car not starting, so he volunteered to go sit in it next to the heater.  I went on a few runs myself, and on the walk back up, I took a picture of Bode from a different angle--the hill loops pretty steep from this perspective.
Towards the end, the kids wanted to pile on top of each other and see if they could make it down the mountain.  Here's the first attempt with Bode on top.
Next was an attempt with Devin on top.  First, a picture.
Next, the attempt.
I think the kids tried a four-decker attempt with Brenna acting as the base, but I failed to get a movie. I don't think it worked out very well :-)

We spent some relaxing days in Albuquerque, playing card games, board games, and watching a movie or two, and going to play LazerTag and other games.  We also opened presents.  Here's a great shot of Bode and Devin.
Here's a picture of the other Albuquerque McGuirks--I probably should tell them I am going to take a picture.
The last picture I took was of Sean opening his quad-copter.  Not a great picture, but it's something.
We spent four nights in Albuquerque.  While there, I think Brenna set upwards of 20,000 texts :-)  I never realized the amount of texting a teenage girl does.  My boss would joke about it, but unless you really see how the phone actually become a part of someone's hand do you realize the intensity in the number of texts.  Very enlightening.  Sadly, we had to return home, but not before watching Auburn win the Toilet, err, Birmingham Bowl with an impressive win over Elvis, err, Memphis.

No comments: