Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Swim Team

As I said in a previous post, Bode has joined the Rocky Mountain Rapids as a Class I swimmer.  There are five classes, with Class V being a high-school level swimmer.  Bode is doing amazingly well, and I say this as an unbiased observer (really).  I tried taking some pictures and movies yesterday.  They didn't turn out great, but it's not really my fault (yup, this craftsman is blaming his tools).  Bode was swimming on the other side of the pool, and all the parents/observers are sitting in the bleachers on the far side.  I didn't want to be "that parent" that is taking pictures of an ordinary workout.  Therefore, I had to use the zoom feature on my circa 2004 camera.  Thus, things are blurry and shaky.  Still, I think you can get the idea.  First up in Bode just chilling in the pool.
Next is a movie of Bode doing butterfly, turning off the "wall," in quotes because they Class I team only had one lane, so they put in a fake wall in the middle of the pool.
Note how good he looks doing butterfly.  Also note how fast his turn is off the wall as he transitioned to backstroke--just a couple months ago, he would stop, and let his feet touch the bottom of the pool before starting again.  Now, he just goes right in to backstroke, and simply overtakes the swimmer in front of him.  Very nice!  Next is a blurry movie of Bode doing freestyle.  His flip turn is very good, and he looks very smooth.
Towards the end of practice, they work on their starts.  Today was Bode's first time going off the starter's block.
Finally, the team did some sprint racing at the end.  Here's Bode winning his race--I think the person he swam against is about a head taller than he is.
Swim practice again tomorrow and Thursday.  I foresee many hours spent sitting on a pool deck :-) Bode has a meet on 17 October.  He will be swimming the 25-meter freestyle, 25-meter backstroke, 25-meter butterfly, and the 100-meter individual medley.  Should be a great time!  Pleasant day to all.

No comments: